Sections in This Article
- About Inbox Item Follow-Up
- About the Case Compare Page
- Complete the Case Compare Page
- Inbox Item Follow-Up Change Log
About Inbox Item Follow-Up
When you choose to promote an Inbox Item to a Follow-Up Case, the Case Compare page appears. This page allows you to compare all the data from the Inbox Item with the data on the previous Case version.
Information from the Inbox Item can then be merged with the previous Case version to create a Follow-Up Case. You can compare data from standard and custom fields at the Case level as well as from child records (such as Case Adverse Events).
Note Merge to follow-up is only available for Follow-Up Inbox Items and is not available for AERs.
The Case Compare page also appears when you choose to merge an Inbox Item to an In-Flight Case.
By default, you cannot promote an Inbox Item to Follow-Up unless the WWUID on the Inbox Item matches the WWUID on the Case. However, an administrator can configure your vault to enable Case promotion for an Inbox Item that contains mismatching WWUIDs with the previous Case version. If the Inbox Item WWUID value is not found in a Case Identifier on the matching Initial Case, the system snapshots the Inbox Item WWUID to a Case Identifier upon promoting to a Follow-Up Case.
To use the Inbox Item Follow-Up feature, an administrator must enable the Case Compare page.
Tip An administrator can configure the Inbox Item Follow-Up Case Compare layout to choose which fields are available for merging to follow-up.
About the Case Compare Page
Use the following animation to interact with the Case Compare page.
The left sidebar displays the filters, legend, and section headers.
Data rows highlighted in blue represent new or changed information whereas the orange rows represent information missing on the Inbox Item that exists on the previous Case version.
The Case Compare page is divided into two main sections:
- New Information: Contains data from the Inbox Item.
- New Follow Up Version: Contains data from the previous Case version merged with the new data on the Inbox Item, to present the modified information that will form the Follow-Up Case.
Note If you leave this page, the system does not save any changes you made.
Use the Accept Change checkboxes to choose the information from the Inbox Item to add or modify the new Case version. If a row does not have a checkbox, there is no change in data.
The following table outlines visual indicators you may see on the Case Compare page:
|This tag indicates new information from the Inbox Item that doesn’t exist on the previous Case version.|
|This tag appears when you delete field information for the Follow-Up Case.|
|This tag indicates the field was set to Reason Omitted.|
|This tag indicates the system automatically calculated a field using information entered in other fields.|
|This tag indicates the system automatically calculated Combination Product-related information.|
|This tag indicates the system automatically calculated Study-related information.|
|Data displayed as bullets indicates you do not have access to these fields on the Case or child records due to atomic security.|
When you are first directed to the Case Compare page, the new and modified data are displayed. Note that your admin may have configured different filters to display by default. The page contains the following filters:
- Show New displays data that is not present on the previous Case version but is populated on the Inbox Item, including any new Case child records.
- Show Modified displays data that was changed between the previous Case version and the Inbox Item, including any modified Case child records.
- Show Unchanged displays Case fields and child records that did not change between the previous Case version and the Inbox Item.
- Show Empty displays fields that are blank on both the previous Case version and the Inbox Item.
- Show Missing displays data from the previous Case version that is not present on the Inbox Item, including any case child records that are missing on the Inbox Item but present on the previous Case version.
Default Merge Behavior
The following sections provide information on default behavior for merging an Inbox Item to a Follow-Up Case.
Case narratives from the previous Case version are copied to the Follow-Up Case and any case narratives from the Inbox Item are appended.
Reason Omitted Fields
Fields that were set to Reason Omitted are displayed with an tag. Reason Omitted fields are not promoted over fields with data.
The following table describes the default behaviours associated with Reason Omitted fields:
|Inbox Item||Previous Case Version||Output|
|Asked But Unknown||Not Asked||Asked But Unknown|
|Asked But Unknown||Verteo Biopharma||Verteo Biopharma|
|Verteo Biopharma||Not Asked||Verteo Biopharma|
|Asked But Unknown||Blank||Asked But Unknown|
|Blank||Not Asked||Not Asked|
When field information is missing on the Inbox Item but is present on the previous Case version, the system deselects the checkbox by default. This will promote the field with data from the previous Case version.
You may not have access to certain fields on the Case or child records due to atomic security (for example, on unblinded Cases). These fields are displayed as bullets. The checkbox is inactive and the system will use the default behaviour depending on the type of change. You may want to have a user with greater permissions for promote to follow-up to modify these fields.
You can override the system selections by selecting or deselecting the checkboxes (except for the fields with atomic security configured).
The system automatically calculates certain fields on the Case Compare page, which are displayed with an , , or tag. These fields include Combination Product-related and Study-related information.
Before merging the Inbox Item to Follow-Up Case, you can override the default behaviour by deselecting the checkbox to prevent the system calculation from promoting to Case.
After merging to follow-up, the system automatically reflects any changes to the primary designation for Case Product, Adverse Event, or Case Contact. In addition, values and records are created and calculated, including:
- An Inbound Transmission
- A Case Unique Number
- Assessments and Assessment Results
- Auto-expectedness and Expectedness Records
- Watchlist tags
- Case tags
Note Default system behaviour can cause unblinded Study Products to be blinded upon merging to follow-up. This is a known issue that will be fixed in a future release.
If the previous Case version has any Localized Cases, the system uses the following logic upon Follow-Up Case promotion:
- If the previous Case version is a global case, the new Follow-Up Case retains the Global Localization value (blank).
- If the previous Case version is a Domestic Case, the new Follow-Up Case inherits the previous Case version’s Localization.
Note Note You can contact Veeva Support to enable the following enhancement: If a previous Case version is a Global Case but the Inbox Item Localization field is set to a Local value, the system creates a Domestic Case upon Follow-Up Case promotion. After this enhancement is enabled by Support, an administrator must perform configuration. In 22R3 (December 2022), this enhancement will only require configuration enablement. Example Link.
Merging Child Records
The system will attempt to map matching child records on the previous case version and the Inbox Item by comparing certain key fields on each record.
If an Inbox Item child record was not matched to the previous Case correctly, you can perform one of the following actions:
- Select a different record from the dropdown menu on the previous Case version to match the record on the Inbox Item.
- Select Create to add the Inbox Item information as a new child record on the Follow-Up Case.
- Select Ignore to ignore the information on this Inbox Item record and prevent it from being promoted to Follow-Up.
If the initial Case version contains a child record that is not present on the Inbox Item being promoted, that child record is promoted to the Follow-Up Case with no changes.
Note that custom child records are not displayed on the Case Compare page. Instead, the system will copy these records to the new Case version.
Complete the Case Compare Page
Once you finish reviewing the Case Compare page, perform one of the following actions:
Note Some actions may not be available depending on your vault’s configuration.
- Cancel: Cancel the operation and be redirected back to the Inbox Item.
- Create New Case: You can promote the Inbox Item to an initial Case version instead if you no longer want to promote the Inbox Item to a Follow-Up Case.
- Merge to Current: Merge the Inbox Item to an In-Flight Case. See Merge to In-Flight Case for more information about this option.
- Create Follow-Up: Merge the data from the Inbox Item with the data from the previous Case version into a Follow-Up Case.
Note If you do not see the Create Follow-Up button, this may be because the previous Case Version is in a prohibited state.
Note Adverse Events and Products can not have identical names, otherwise you will be unable to promote to Follow-Up Case or create a new Case.
Inbox Item Follow-Up Change Log
Upon creating a Follow-Up Case, the system attaches a change log to the Inbound Transmission. The change log displays the fields that were changed during the merge as well as the action taken. If the Inbox Item did not have an Inbound Transmission, the system creates one. You can also see the audit trail on a Case to view the changes.