Sections in This Article
Note Depending on your Admin's configuration, object, field, and section labels, lifecycle states, and workflows may differ from the general information on this page. Refer to your organization's business processes for guidance.
About Merging to an In-Flight Case
- In-Flight Case
- An open Case that has not completed case processing (generally in any state before Approved, Closed, or Superseded).
As a Case Processor, you can merge new case information from an Inbox Item to an In-flight Case. The system creates an Inbound Transmission with links to the Case and Inbox Item.
The system also updates the latest Case version to add one minor (+0.1) version number. For example, a Case with version (v1.0) becomes (v1.1).
If multiple Inbox Items link to the same Case, the system updates them so that they all link to the new Case version upon promoting an Inbox Item to follow-up. This ensures that related Inbox Item information is not lost on subsequent versions.
To use the Merge to In-Flight feature, your administrator must:
- Enable the Merge to Active Case Version option in the Intake Settings.
- Perform the merge to In-flight Case configurations in the enablement instructions.
Merge an Inbox Item to an In-Flight Case
- Go to the Inbox Item marked for follow-up.
- Run the Promote to Follow-up action.
Since the Inbox Item is in the Marked for Follow-Up state and contains a link to an In-flight Case, the system skips duplicate detection and directs you to the Inbox Item to Case Compare screen.
Note If the Inbox Item is not linked to a Case, the system directs you to duplicate detection. From this page, you can select Compare Details to get to the Case Compare screen.
- On the Inbox Item to Case Compare page, select the information from the Inbox Item you want to merge into the Case. For more information on how to use Case Compare, see the Inbox Item Follow-Up article or interact with the Case Compare animation.
- When you’re done, select the Merge to Current icon.
Note If you do not see the Merge to Current button, this may be because:If the New Info Date value is being updated, a message will appear and ask if you want to proceed with this change.
- The feature is not enabled in your Vault. Your Admin must enable this option.
- The Case you want to merge into is in a prohibited state.
- You do not have edit access to the In-flight Case in its current state. Contact your Admin to grant you edit access.
- The Localization values on the Inbox Item and Case prevent them from being merged. The system does not allow merging Global Inbox Items into Domestic Cases.
The changes you selected on the Inbox Item to Case Compare page are updated on the latest Case version. If there are changes to the primary designation for Case Product, Adverse Event, or Case Contact, those are applied to the latest Case version. If the primary Case Product or Adverse Event change, the system reevaluates Case Assessments, Expectedness, and Assessment Results.
The Inbox Item state goes from Marked as Follow-Up to Promoted and a new section, Inbox Item has been promoted, appears with a link to the new Case version.